This is what I’ve been sweating and cursing over the last few days- carving some charms to add to it has been on my mind but those can always be added later. I’m just hoping that I managed to get the seams joined well enough, working so thin was a little tricky but I wanted it to look light and airy. The links are all uniform due to my Makin’s extruder and wrapping the snake around an oval and circular form to get the shapes.
Now I have plenty of open links that haven’t been sealed shut, lots of possibilities- maybe a necklace or another bracelet?
One thing I’ve learned from using the extruder to make the snakes is that the clay should be fresh and not reconstituted- otherwise it will look rough and fall apart more easily.
Another experiment w/ unexpected results- these are Bronzclay pieces coated in a thinned layer of gesso, allowed to dry and then painted with metallic Lumiere paint that can be used on fabric. The colors are a little too bright for me, I grabbed these paints since I couldn’t locate my Prismacolor colored pencils.
Once I find my colored pencils, I’ll try this experiment again.
I’m going to try and patina my cheesecloth bracelet!
This is the only ammonia I can find in the stores, places like Target don’t carry it. Maybe grocery stores are most likely to carry products like this? Not even sure that this is the correct ammonia to patina metal. We’ll find out in the morning!
Here is what I’ve done so far:
Found an empty plastic container w/ lid and poked two holes in top to string bracelet up so it doesn’t touch ammonia in bottom of container. I used twine as my hanger, hope it doesn’t matter what the material is.
Folded a paper towel and placed it in the bottom of the container, then poured ammonia to saturate. Left this outside since I’m sure it will be stinky.
Next, I tied my loop and hung my bracelet.
After mixing the salt water solution, I dunked my suspended bracelet- I didn’t want to touch it w/ my hands and get oil on it.
Since my bracelet is already attached to the lid via the string, all I had to do was put on the lid and set the container someplace it won’t get knocked over outside.
I’ll try and post pics of the results in the morning, if I have time. My friend, Sheryll, is getting married down in Big Sur tomorrow, I hope the weather is gorgeous for her big day!
tagged me, who was tagged by Catherine Witherell
to share “What are you about right now?”. Feel free to join in! Just remember to link back to this post so everyone will be able to see what others are writing.
I’m suddenly seeking:
Patience for: teething baby, loud neighbors, smoothing joints and final sandings
Practicing: kindness, listening better, empathy, hollow forms, links and organizing
Improving at: prioritizing, organizing, not procrastinating, de-cluttering
crashing waves, blue, clear skies, soaring birds, chubby little hands, the sound of my son’s laughter, hugs, family, crisp sheets, feathers, fog, Hwy 1, lavendar: the color and scent, her artwork
, travel, Italy, gelato, stone houses, poppies, gondolas, mosaics, Etsy, her blog
, lucid dreaming, ideas journal, enameling, peonies
Always seeking: beauty
These pendants are hollow and I had thought about just leaving them looking like pebbles. Then I decided to try and make them similar to my Bound Bead style from my glass work. The far left is my first as you can see by my not so awesome stringing. If everything goes as planned they’ll be fired tomorrow morning.
I’m fired up about finishing my cheesecloth bracelet and interested *again* about making beadcaps. These beads have been laying around not making themselves useful and were talked into posing w/ beadcaps- made for each other, no?
Here is my pile of current works in progress. I’ve probably used 150-60 grams so far of Copprclay and some of them still need to be textured, smoothed, etc. before they’re ready to be fired.
I had to remake a clasp for my cheesecloth bracelet since the one I refired due to breakage ended up spreading apart and when I tried to move it closer together, it broke again 😦
Let’s hope the copprclay one is a little bit stronger. Next on my agenda is a hinged bracelet of some sort, perhaps w/ empty chambers to add some resin..
Still haven’t managed to master tear away texture- it seems a bit tricky, but I’m determined to get it down.
I thought I’d show you the back of an earring and how I used a tube as an attachment- maybe it’s nothing new to some of you, but I was pretty chuffed to figure it out, lol.
With the tube attached- made w/ my extruder- all I had to do was use a headpin and add a pearl, wire wrap and voila! a pair of earrings.
This happened purely due to the reason that I didn’t want to have to add a hole and then use a jumpring, etc. and I wanted to leave the front of the oval unmarred- imagine if you wanted to put writing or a certain design that would be ruined by a hole, maybe this would be useful.